Karly works primarily with engineers and architects on professional liability cases and on complex, multi-party disputes. She represents clients in front of professional licensing boards and defends design professionals against design and construction defect claims, construction delay cases, and traffic control plan disputes. She also represents owners in closeout disputes. Known for her dedication to legal scholarship, Karly’s work has been published in the Texas Construction Law Journal and she is often called upon to analyze intensive case law and develop sophisticated legal strategy.
She is a 2017 graduate of St. Mary’s University School of Law in San Antonio, where she focused her studies on construction law and clerked at multiple construction litigation firms in the San Antonio and Austin areas. She also served as an extern from the Honorable Pamela Mathy of the United States District Court for the Western District of Texas, an experience that provided valuable insight into dispute resolution from a federal judge’s point of view.
Karly completed her undergraduate studies at the University of Texas at Austin, where she majored in psychology and minored in rhetoric and writing.
Licenses and Certifications
- Supreme Court of Texas (2017)
- Admitted to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals (2020)
- Admitted to U.S. District Courts for the Western (2018), Eastern (2019), Northern (2020), and Southern (2019) Districts of Texas
Industry Involvement and Memberships
- State Bar of Texas, Construction Law Section | Member (2017-Present)
- State Bar of Texas, Insurance Law Section | Member (2018-Present)
- Austin Bar Association, Construction Law Section | Member (2017-Present)
- Austin Bar Association, Austin Young Lawyers Association | Member (2017-Present)
- Urban Land Institute | Young Leaders Committee (2019-Present); Impact Awards Committee Member (2018)
- Austin Young Women’s Alliance | Board Member (2018-2019)
- Travis County Women Lawyers Association | Member (2017-Present)
- J.D., St. Mary’s University School of Law (2017)
- The Scholar: St. Mary’s Law Review on Race and Social Justice: Managing Executive Editor
- Sandra Day O’Conner School of Law’s Law Review on Social Justice: Credit with honors awarded for publication
- William S. Sessions American Inn of Court: Student Member
- Judge K.K. Woodley Memorial Scholarship Recipient
- B.A., University of Texas at Austin (2014)
- Obtained summary judgment dismissal on behalf of design professional for breach of warranty, negligence, and DTPA claims.
- Represented railroad engineering firm through successful nominal settlement in multi-party case relating to alleged design and construction defects at railroad facility.
- Assisted in defense of engineer and program manager in personal injury case involving the construction of a major highway.
- Handled $7,000,000+ claim asserted by a large Central Texas school district on behalf of MEP engineering firm, ultimately resolving case for small fraction of overall claim.
- Obtained favorable negotiated settlement for architect in 10+ party dispute for claims involving alleged design and construction defects at municipal library in East Texas.
- Obtained Chapter 150 dismissal of negligence claim against design firm for its involvement with a City of San Antonio project.