With an undergraduate degree in construction science and a legal career dedicated exclusively to construction law, Joe has extensive experience drafting and negotiating large-scale commercial design and construction contracts for preeminent players on all sides of the commercial construction industry including owners, developers, general contractors, and design professionals.
Known for his pragmatic approach and ability to get a deal done, Joe frequently advises his clients on risk-management strategies, long-term planning, project management, as well as dispute avoidance and resolution.
Joe is Board Certified in Construction Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and is a board member of the Building Enclosure Council of Austin. From 2012-2017 he served the City of Rollingwood as an Alderman and was the President of the Rollingwood Community Economic Development Corporation.
Licenses and Certifications
Supreme Court of the United States (2013)
Supreme Court of Texas (2002)
Admitted to U.S. District Courts for the Western, Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of Texas (2004)
- Board Certified® in Construction Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization (2017)
Industry Involvement and Memberships
State Bar of Texas, Construction Law Section | Member (2002-Present)
Austin Bar Association, Construction Law Section | Member (2002-Present)
- Building Enclosure Council, Austin Chapter | Board Member (2015-Present)
- Associated General Contractors, Austin Chapter | Legal Affairs Committee (2012-Present)
Tau Sigma Delta Honor Society of Architecture and Allied Arts | Lifetime Member
Sigma Lambda Chi International Honor Society for Construction | Lifetime Member
- Chambers USA, Texas | Construction Law, Band 3 (2020); Construction Law, Recognized Practitioner (2018-2019)
- Best Lawyers, Austin, Texas | “Lawyer of the Year” – Litigation – Construction (2021); “Lawyer of the Year” – Construction Law (2019); Construction Law (2014-2021); Litigation – Construction (2018-2021)
- Super Lawyers, Austin, Texas | Construction Law (2013-2020)
- Super Lawyers, Central and West Texas | Top 50 (2017)
- Super Lawyers, Texas | Rising Stars – Construction Litigation (2005-2013)
J.D., magna cum laude, Texas Tech University School of Law (2002)
Order of the Coif
Technology Editor, Texas Tech Law Review
B.S., cum laude, Construction Sciences, Texas A&M University (1998)
- Negotiated construction contract for high-rise apartments on Riverside Drive.
- Represented a West Texas County in a multi-party construction defect lawsuit.
- Negotiated architectural contract for high-rise condominiums in downtown Austin.
- Drafted architectural and construction contracts for capital improvement projects for a Central Texas county.
- Represented subcontractor on a payment and scheduling dispute at the US Supreme Court.
- Negotiated construction contract for prominent community bank.
- Drafted and negotiated construction contract for retail shopping center in San Antonio.
- Drafted construction contract for developer for a high-rise mixed-use project in the Central Business District of Austin.
- Drafted construction contract of a private non-profit urban park project in partnership with the City of Austin.
- Drafted construction manager agreement (AIA A133 – 2009) for owner’s new corporate headquarters.
- Drafted bidding and construction contracts for developer in connection with a new Public Improvement District (PID) in the City of Austin.
- Negotiated architectural agreement for high-rise office building in the Central Business District of Austin.
- Negotiated construction contract for luxury apartments in North Austin.
- Negotiated agreement for museum project in Saudi Arabia.
- Represented contractor in payment dispute with healthcare provider.
- Represented architect in dispute over parking garage.
- Negotiated air rights (crane) and soil tie-back agreement for property owners in downtown Austin.
- Drafted and negotiated architectural and construction agreement for finish out of office space in downtown Austin office tower.
- Represented contractor in differing site conditions claim by subcontractor.
- Represented developer in dispute over defects in construction of residential townhome project in Austin.
- Represented EPC contractor in payment dispute with Owner over power plant project in Central Texas.
- Drafted and negotiated construction contract for church and school project in Austin.
- Represented architect in soil-movement dispute over institutional project in College Station.
- Represented structural engineer in foundation movement dispute over hotel project in Austin.
- Represented a municipal retirement fund drafting and negotiating the construction contract for corporate relocation project.
- Represented subcontractor in payment dispute over institutional project in San Marcos.
- Drafted and negotiated construction contracts for builder of high-end custom homes.
- Represented hospital in foundation movement dispute in North Texas.
- Represented architect in building envelope dispute over hospital in Central Texas.